Savory breakfast ideas – gluten free, sugar free and dairy free – great for hearty appetites, that can certainly keep you full longer. If you’re trying to reduce your sugar intake or you just prefer sugar free breakfast recipes, here are a few savory dishes perfect to start your day.
These breakfast ideas are great for anyone (including kids) who is sensitive to gluten and dairy or who simply wants to eat clean, healthier and more varied foods. You can make them in the morning or the day before if you need some gluten and dairy free breakfasts on the go.
When we are used to sweet yogurt, granola, waffles and pancakes, transitioning and thinking of savory sugar free breakfasts can be challenging. But it’s totally doable, the best part is the results – improved energy, digestion, and mood!
Less Sugar Makes A Healthier Breakfast
So what can I eat for breakfast if I’m on a gluten free dairy free and sugar free diet? That’s a question I hear all the time when people transition to this type of diet.
Lowering your sugar intake and eating anti-inflammatory foods can really contribute to improving your overall health.
So put down those store-bought gluten free baked goods because they will always make you overeat. Here are four filling gluten free, dairy free and sugar free savory breakfast ideas to try:
Video: Watch How To Make These Sugar Free Breakfast Recipes (Gluten Free Dairy Free)
If you can’t see the video, try to disable the ad-blocker in your browser.
You can also see the video on my YouTube Channel here.
1. Savory Gluten & Dairy Free Avocado Toast With Sardines
This is one of my favorite sugar free breakfast recipe that is really quick to make. It’s a breakfast for those days when you have salty cravings and you need a filling first meal.
The rich fatty flavor and texture of this avocado toast helps cut down on the fishy notes of the sardine, turning this simple gluten free dairy free breakfast into something very delicious and filling!
For this I used a homemade gluten free bun (sourdough) that I previously made. I keep them in the freezer. In the morning, I just throw a few buns in the toaster, slice or mush some avocado, and top them with wild sardines (lightly smoked and with olive oil).
Heads up: some are affiliate links & I may receive a small commission from qualifying sales. For more info See This.
2. Cabbage And Rice Breakfast Skillet Casserole
I know people who are constantly on the hunt of new sugar free breakfast ideas rather than sweet.
This meatless skillet casserole is made with cabbage instead of traditional potatoes. It has a lot of fibre, healthy fats, less carbs and makes a delicious savory breakfast idea if you are sensitive to nightshades.
The great part about making this breakfast casserole is that everything can be done in one pan. Just start cooking everything on the stove top, and then finish it off as a baked casserole.
Cooking it in an ovenproof non-stick skillet, saves on clean up by allowing transition from stove-top to oven in one pan. This skillet casserole is also a great make ahead sugar free breakfast, you can store slices in airtight containers for future meals.
3. Gluten Free Dairy Free Egg Free Breakfast Burrito
You can easily prep elements of this savory breakfast idea ahead of time making it a cinch to pull together for an easy weekday breakfast or lunch!
Instead of a regular bean and potato burrito I incorporated some healthy complex carbs, a probiotic rich ingredient (sauerkraut), nutrient rich sprouts and a delicious avocado sauce that provides moisture and enhances all those flavors. For an extra kick I added a drizzle of this sugar free ketchup.
Everything is wrapped up in a healthy gluten free (vegan) tortilla made with flax seeds and sourdough starter.
4. Gluten Free Dairy Free Tortilla Roll Ups With Salmon
This makes a healthy gluten and dairy free savory breakfast on the go or you can cut the roll ups into pinwheels and serve them as appetizers. Once you have the avocado sauce and the homemade gluten free tortilla ready it only takes a few minutes to assemble. You just need some greens and some wild caught smoked salmon.
Make Any Savory Breakfast With Gluten Free Potato Tortillas
Having a tortilla based breakfast is not a problem anymore. These soft gluten free and egg free potato tortillas are flexible enough to be used for wraps and burritos. You can wrap a chicken salad in them, a chickpea salad or some dinner leftovers and you’re good to go.
More Savory Sugar Free Breakfast Ideas
From those 3 waffle recipes, try the zucchini waffles with avocado topping, which are are sugar free.
Check out these savory beet pancakes and sweet potato latkes.
Why Make These Gluten Free Dairy Free Sugar Free Breakfasts
In any case, the whole idea behind these savory breakfast options is that you have the freedom to tailor them to your liking. Unlike with something like cereal, with these savory options you can tweak, chop and change up the ingredients.
- The mix of protein, veggies, healthy fats and fibre in these sugar free savory breakfast ideas will keep you and your kids full until lunch.
- These savory breakfasts will prevent you from snacking on something less healthy and make your weight loss easy.
- You can prepare some of these sugar free breakfasts in advance and take them to-go in your lunch box as well.
More Gluten And Dairy Free Breakfast Recipes
- 42 Healthy Gluten Free Dairy Free Breakfasts On The Go
- 17 Gluten Free Dairy Free Breakfast Ideas Healthier Than Store-bought
- Wholesome Vegan Gluten Free Breakfast Ideas
If you try any of these gluten free dairy free sugar free savory breakfast ideas, please feel free to share your opinion or rate them in the comment section!
For more gluten free dairy free breakfast recipes, lunch or dinner ideas check out my gluten and dairy free cookbook.
Savory Breakfast Ideas (Gluten Free Dairy Free And Sugar Free)
1. Savory Gluten Free Dairy Free Avocado Toast With Sardines
2. Gluten Free Dairy Free Breakfast Skillet Casserole
- 6-7 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 large onion, - chopped
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- 1½ cup plant milk. - I used homemade hemp milk
- 1 cup basmati rice, - cooked
- 3 large or 4 medium eggs, - organic, pasture raised
- 3 kale leaves, - chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/3 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 tsp mustard
3. Gluten Free Dairy Free Breakfast Burrito
- 4 homemade gluten free tortillas
- 7 portobello mushrooms, - sliced
- 1 medium onion, - chopped
- 1 cup brown rice, - cooked
- 4 tbsp chickpeas, - cooked
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1/3 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp ketchup, - organic, unsweetened
- 2 tbsp chives, - chopped
- 4 tbsp sauerkraut, - homemade
- 2 handfuls alfa alfa sprouts, - or any other greens
For the avocado sauce:
4. Gluten Free Dairy Free Breakfast Tortilla Roll Ups
- 4 homemade gluten free tortillas
- 6 tbsp avocado sauce, - made earlier
- 4 tbsp chives or scallions, - chopped
- 1 handful alfa alfa sprouts
- 1 handful sunflower seed sprouts - or other greens
- 12 oz smoked salmon, - wild caught
AVOCADO TOAST WITH SARDINES
- Prepare your gluten free bread buns (pop them in the toaster as you need).
- Mash the avocado on top with a fork. Add the onion rings. Sprinkle salt and black pepper, top with sardines and finish with hemp seeds or any other seeds you like.
BREAKFAST SKILLET CASSEROLE
- Shred the cabbage with a knife or a mandoline slicer for thinner strips. You'll need aprox. 1/2 of a medium head. Chop the onion and the garlic cloves – saute until slightly golden then add the cabbage + salt, pepper, coriander, mustard and cook until it gets soft. Set aside.
- In a bowl mix the eggs with a little salt and turmeric powder, then add the plant milk, mix until well combined.
- Divide the cabbage mixture into two portions. To the one left in the pan (I used a ceramic 10″ skillet ) add the cooked rice, kale and pour over half of the egg mixture.
- Repeat with another layer of cabbage, rice, kale and egg mixture. The liquid should cover slightly the surface for a perfect moist result.
- Bake at 380 F for 35-40 minutes until the surface is slightly golden.
- When ready cover with a heatproof cutting board and flip the skillet. Cut and serve! For more details, see video.
BREAKFAST MUSHROOM BURRITO
- Saute chopped onion until slightly golden. Add the mushrooms, salt & pepper and cook until brown and tender. Then add the cooked brown rice, the chickpeas and cook for another 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Prepare the avocado sauce by mixing all ingredients in a blender.
GLUTEN FREE TORTILLA ROLL UPS
- Spread some avocado sauce on the tortillas. Sprinkle with chopped chives, add the alfa alfa sprouts and the sunflower seed sprouts.
- Finish with wild smoked salmon. Roll and serve.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.
©HealthyTasteOfLife. Content and photographs are copyright protected and need prior permission to use. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to other websites and any social media is strictly prohibited. Sharing and using the link of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated!