This creamy chickpea salad features shredded red cabbage (raw and pickled) and chickpeas combined with fresh celery root and bell peppers, and tossed in a creamy vegan dressing.
This chickpea and cabbage salad is crunchy, tangy, creamy and provides lots of vitamins and probiotics due to sauerkraut. Serve this creamy chickpea salad as a vegan side dish or mashed in a sandwich / wrap.
Creamy veggie salads are my favorite, I usually make this creamy beetroot carrot salad in the fall or this creamy mayo free coleslaw in the summer months. My avocado kale salad with egg is usually used for quick sandwiches and this creamy potato salad and this shrimp cabbage salad is reserved for winter months. Feel free to check them out!
Creamy Chickpea Salad With Red Cabbage
A protein and fiber-rich cabbage and garbanzo bean salad that is not only creamy and delicious but also healthy too! Substituting your favorite mayo-laden egg or tuna salad with this creamy chickpea salad is a great start to eat healthier.
This is a quick and easy chickpea cabbage salad that is full of vitamins and ingredients that help support a healthy gut. Did you know that half a cup of red cabbage is 45% of daily recommended amount of Vitamin C? . Moreover one cup of this salad provides 58.5 % DV of Vitamin C alone due to use of red cabbage and also bell pepper plus celery root.
Moreover this chickpea salad can help your digestion, improve overall gut health, and also improve your immune system .
How To Make This Creamy Chickpea Salad
To make this vegan creamy chickpea salad you need the following ingredients:
- Chickpeas (or garbanzo beans). Simply drain and rinse a can of chickpeas and you’re on your way. Or soak and boil your own batch if you prefer that.
- Raw Veggies: Chop your veggies and toss with the rest of ingredients. I used bell pepper, red cabbage, celery root and green onions (scallions) for flavor.
- Sauerkraut: I used my homemade cabbage sauerkraut or some beet sauerkraut to add some tanginess. In case you don’t have any, you can replace it with pickles (fermented cucumbers), capers or any other pickled vegetable.
- Creamy Salad Dressing: I used my homemade ranch dressing (vegan) or you can use some vegan mayo if you like.
Assemble The Salad:
Chop or shred all veggies and combine with the listed ingredients in a salad bowl. Toss with the creamy ranch dressing mentioned above and give the chickpea salad a good stir to coat everything.
As an alternative you could use this creamy avocado dressing or this vegan honey mustard, it would work wonderfully too!
Video: Watch How To Make This Creamy Chickpea Salad With Cabbage
If you can’t see the video, make sure to disable your browser ad-blocker.
Tips For A Tasty Creamy Chickpea Salad
- This chickpea salad can be made 1 day in advance. It won’t get soggy after a few hours in the fridge it will actually get thicker. Making it the day before actually helps the flavors meld better.
- The tang in this salad is essential so make sure you use sauerkraut (red or white works fine) or some pickles (fermented cucumbers), capers or any other pickled vegetable.
- You can use green, red, or yellow bell pepper. Or a variety to add a bit of color to the dish.
- The creaminess combines really well with the tang and crunch of ingredients, so make sure you use a creamy dressing. Vegan mayo works too if you are too lazy.
If you like garbanzo beans in your salad make sure to try this hearty chicken chickpea and beet salad with avocado dressing.
Heads up: some are affiliate links & I may receive a small commission from qualifying sales. For more info See This.
Storing The Chickpea Salad
Keep stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Give the leftover salad a good stir before serving to redistribute the dressing.
Other Creamy Salads Without Mayo
Enjoy this creamy chickpea salad and please leave me a comment if you make it, I would love to hear your thoughts! Your feedback is super helpful for me and readers. Thank you!
Creamy Vegan Chickpea Salad No Mayo (With Probiotics)
Vegan Chickpea Salad
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas - unsalted, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup sauerkraut (made with red cabbage) - or any other pickled / fermented veggie
- 1/2 cup raw red cabbage - shredded
- 3/4 cup celery root - julienned or chopped
- 1/2 sweet red bell pepper - chopped
- 2 green onion stalks
Dressing And Seasonings
- 1/3 cup homemade vegan ranch dressing - or your favorite creamy vegan dressing
- pinch of salt - if it's necessary
Prepare Ingredients For The Chickpea Salad
- Drain the chickpeas, transfer to a strainer and rinse under cool running water. Or you can cook your chickpeas from scratch if you prefer.
- Chop all other vegetables to a uniform size.
Assemble The Salad
- In a large bowl toss together the chickpeas, chopped red cabbage, celery root, green onion, bell peppers and the sauerkraut.
- Pour over the homemade ranch dressing and mix until evenly coated.
Vegan Chickpea Salad No Mayo Recipe Tips
- You can use green, red, or yellow bell pepper. Or a variety to add more color and crunch to the salad.
- Add diced avocado for some healthy fats and more creaminess. Add it just before serving to avoid browning.
- The creaminess combines really well with the tang and crunch of ingredients, so make sure you use a creamy dressing. Mayo works too if you are too lazy.
- After mixing the ingredients taste and adjust the seasoning (salt and pepper) according to your taste.
- Add other vegetables like carrots, celery, tomatoes, or some seeds like: sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds or hemp seeds. Some dried fruit will work too!
- If you’d like additional plant based protein, or want to make this salad a little heartier, try adding in a cup of cooked quinoa, lentils or other beans.
- Add 1 avocado for additional creaminess and healthy fats.
- The tang in this salad is essential so make sure you use sauerkraut (red cabbage or white) or some pickles (fermented cucumbers), capers or any other pickled vegetable.
Ways To ServeLeave the chickpeas intact, serve the salad on a bed of mixed greens, or lightly mash the garbanzo beans with a fork so you could enjoy it as a sandwich or burrito filler.
Vegan Chickpea Salad Storing
- This salad can be made 1 day in advance. It won’t get soggy after a few hours in the fridge it will actually get thicker. Making it the day before actually helps the flavors meld better.
- Keep stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Give the leftover salad a good stir before serving to redistribute the dressing.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.
©HealthyTasteOfLife. Content and photographs are copyright protected and need prior permission to use. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to other websites and any social media is strictly prohibited. Sharing and using the link of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated!
Tuesday 5th of May 2020
I loved the idea of using a creamy dressing, but I'm too lazy ..ha ha...and I just used some vegan mayo, it's absolutely delicious! Thanks!
Tuesday 5th of May 2020
Thanks Madison! Enjoy!