Green tea lemonade is a refreshing, flavorful drink that is perfect for summer days. It’s easy to make and can be customized with different flavors to suit your taste. With high quality brewed green tea, lemon juice and honey plus a few special tips, you can make an amazing healthier green tea lemonade which is far more superior than Starbucks version!
Making your own green tea lemonade is healthier because you can control the sugar content, use high-quality ingredients, customize the taste, and get the health benefits of green tea. Pre-made green tea lemonades usually contain low-quality tea leaves, artificial flavors, or preservatives and have lots of sugar.
Ingredients For Green Tea Lemonade
- Green tea (brewed/ prepared tea);
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice;
- Honey or (sweetener of your choice);
- Ice to serve with and fresh mint leaves to garnish.
Choose Healthier Green Tea
Organic loose leaf teas are considered superior to tea bags as they offer higher quality tea, customizable strength, are more environmentally friendly, better value, and provide more health benefits due to their freshness and lack of additives. See varieties mentioned above.
Heads up: some links are affiliated & I may receive a small commission from qualifying sales. For more info see my disclaimer policy.
1. Brew the green tea according to package directions.
Make sure you are using loose leaf teas, as they are higher in quality and have more antioxidants. Usually for an ice tea you want to make the tea stronger and use the proportion of 1 tablespoon of loose leaf green tea per 1 cup of hot water.
So measure out your loose-leaf tea, pour the hot water over the tea leaves and steep for 5 minutes, then strain. To prevent the bitter taste don’t leave the leaves for too long. Once the tea is brewed, let it cool to room temperature and transfer to a glass pitcher or jar, I usually keep it in my glass pitcher with a lid.
2. Add honey (or other sweetener) and the lemon juice
You will need about 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (aprox. 4-5 small lemons) and 1/3 cup of honey added to the brewed green tea. You can use the sweetner of your choice if you don’t want honey. Mix until combined.
Note: This is a concentrated mixture perfect for making an iced tea lemonade. As the ice melts it actually disolves the green tea lemonade. But if you intend to serve it without ice and prefer a less intense tea flavor, you can dilute it with a bit of cold filtered water.
3. Serve over ice and enjoy the healthiest green tea lemonade!
Green tea lemonade is a great option for those looking to make healthier choices. Not only does it have the health benefits of green tea, but the lemon juice provides added vitamin C. As long as you opt for organic ingredients without additives and artifial flavors, you’re making a healthier choice.
Green tea lemonade has a refreshing and subtly sweet taste. The tartness of the lemon complements the earthy flavor of the green tea. And the sweetness adds a nice balance.
For the best taste and nutrition, it’s best to use loose leaf teas. They are higher in quality, so you won’t get the same flavor from pre-packaged tea bags or sachets.
Absolutely! You can use a natural sweetener like honey, agave nectar, or stevia, xylitol or erithrytol. Or remove the sweetener entirely.
This will depend on the type of green tea you use, but generally it has less caffeine than a regular cup of coffee.
The green tea lemonade should be served within 3-5 after making, it and won’t keep well for more than that.
- If the lemon juice is too tart, add some water and sweetener to taste;
- Refrigerate any extra green tea lemonade and consume within 5 days;
- You can also freeze some water and mint together to make fancy mint ice cubes;
- Or at least don’t forget to include some fresh mint leaves as garnish!
Making a green tea lemonade is an easy and tasty way to enjoy the benefits of green tea while quenching your thirst on a hot summer day. With this recipe, you can create a flavorful and refreshing drink that will keep you hydrated and energized all day!
More Healthy Drinks
Healthier Green Tea Lemonade
Green Tea Lemonade
- 3 cups brewed green tea - see notes
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup honey - or other sweetener, see notes
- 3-4 cups ice cubes
- 2-4 leaves fresh mint - to garnish
Brew The Green Tea
- Make sure you are using loose leaf teas, as they are higher in quality and have more antioxidants. Usually for an ice tea you want to make the tea stronger and use the proportion of 1 tablespoon of loose leaf green tea per 1 cup of hot water.
- Measure out your loose-leaf tea, pour the hot water over the tea leaves and steep for 5 minutes, then strain. Once the tea is brewed, let it cool to room temperature and transfer to a glass pitcher or jar, I usually keep it in my glass pitcher with a lid.
Prepare and Add The Lemon Juice
- You will need about 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (aprox. 4-5 small lemons) add to the cooled green tea.
Add The Sweetener
- Add the honey (or the sweetener of your choice) and mix until it disolves.
- Serve over ice and garnish with fresh mint leaves. Enjoy the healthiest green tea lemonade!
Varriety of Green Tea You Can Use To Make a Flavorful Green Tea Lemonade:
- Earl grey green tea (organic);
- Mango and Peach flavored green tea (organic);
- Jasmine green tea (organic);
- Moroccan mint green tea (organic).
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.
©HealthyTasteOfLife. Content and photographs are copyright protected and need prior permission to use. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to other websites and any social media is strictly prohibited. Sharing and using the link of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated!