This easy pumpkin and beetroot salad features roasted pumpkin and beets, fresh leafy greens, pumpkin seeds, and a mustard lemon vinaigrette.
The tart and sweet dressing brightens and ties beautifully all ingredients together and the seeds add a bit of crunch, making this salad great as a side dish or main dish.
Pumpkin And Beetroot Salad
Just like my other beet salad recipes this beetroot and pumpkin salad is also gluten free, dairy free, vegan friendly and a perfect vegetarian side dish fit for a holiday table. Based on types of ingredients you use, it will yield different results so feel free to experiment. Serve as a first course or turn this salad into a main dish, add a cooked whole grains or legumes.
Related: Chicken Beet Salad With Avocado Dressing
Both pumpkins and beetroots (known as beets) are a top source of plant-based iron and hold health-enhancing characteristics. They are also low in calories, yet high in valuable vitamins and minerals and together make a truly healthy dish.
Best Pumpkin For Roasting And Salads
All varieties of pumpkin / squash are nutritious due to their nutritional and health protective values. They contain high levels of nutrients with anti-diabetic, antioxidant, anti-carcinogenic and anti-inflammatory properties. The high carotenoid content, the low energetic value, plus fiber, protein carbohydrates and minerals make the pumpkins the prefect ingredient in so many recipes.
Related: Simple Beetroot Salad With Walnuts Prunes And Avocado (Vegan)
When I say pumpkin I mean really hard-skinned squashes also called winter squashes (in different parts of the world they have different names).
The types of pumpkins that are good for roasting and taste good when used in a salad are those with a sweet, flavorful, and smooth-textured flesh like:
- Butternut Squash
- Delicata Squash
- Acorn Squash
- Long Island Cheese Pumpkins
- Sugar Pumpkin
- Cinderella Pumpkin
In this salad recipe I’m using a young small pumpkin (about 4 to 6 pounds not more).
How To Prepare The Pumpkin And Beetroot For Salad
In the fall you can prepare this pumpkin and beetroot salad in the oven (cubed) or steamed on the stove. In the summer, you can roast the beets and pumpkin on the grill for a more robust flavor. The hardest work is to peel the beetroot (beets) and the pumpkin, cut into cubes and cook/ roast.
Heads up: some are affiliate links & I may receive a small commission from qualifying sales. For more info See This.
Ingredients For Beetroot And Pumpkin Salad
- Beetroot – choose red or golden beats. The golden ones tend to have a milder, slightly sweeter flavor than their dark red counterparts.
- Pumpkin or squash – choose any sweet variety you like, I used Delicata Squash.
- Leafy greens – add extra nutrients and makes the salad lighter.
- Pumpkin seeds add crunch.
- Red onion – cut into wedges (or use green onion).
- Avocado – loaded with heart-healthy fatty acids that will help absorb more of the vitamins in minerals.
Find the complete printable recipe with measurements below.
Salad Dressing Ingredients
- Mustard – (Dijon or brown) it adds creaminess and tartness to the dressing.
- Lemon juice (or apple cider vinegar) – that sourness and acidity will brighten the flavor.
- Sweetener (honey or maple syrup) – it will cut some of the sourness.
- Salt – to enhance the flavor.
- Chia seeds – to help thicken a bit the texture and add nutrients.
- Oil is optional (or you can add a teaspoon of mayo). I prefer less oil.
Easy And Quick / Prep Tip
The salad starts with cooking the beets and the pumpkin. You can prepare the salad in parts (roast the veggies first) in advance and refrigerate until ready to add the rest of (raw) ingredients when you’re ready to serve.
Prepping tips: Cut the beets and pumpkin into cubes (bite-size chunks), half moon shapes or slice into sticks.
Allow the flavors to meld, that’s why if I’m planning on eating the salad on the day I make it, I’ll prepare it at lunch so it can sit and build the flavors until dinner.
How To Make The Roasted Beetroot And Pumpkin Salad
1. Roast The Beets And The Pumpkin in a 425F oven. Peel, cube, oil, salt & pepper them, and place in a baking sheet, and bake for about 25-35 minutes depending on size. They turn out sweet and caramelized around the edges. If you want to avoid the oil you can also air fry the veggies.
2. Meanwhile prepare the salad dressing. Add all dressing ingredients in a small bowl, whisk and allow to combine the flavors until you’re ready to assemble the salad.
3. Mix the ingredients. Here you have two options, combine everything in one bowl or layer the ingredients on a platter and drizzle the dressing just before serving.
Video: How To Make This Pumpkin Beetroot Salad
Customization And Substitutions
- This salad is perfect for using up the root vegetables you might have lying around, and you can easily substitute for sweet potatoes, carrots, turnips or parsnips.
- No pumpkin seed? Feel free to use other seeds like sunflower seeds or hemp instead. Nuts are another great option.
- If you prefer, you can add other herbs like arugula, parsley, kale, basil or mint.
- Add vegan feta cheese or regular feta for a creamy taste addition.
Storing: this beetroot and pumpkin salad can be made ahead of time and stashed in the fridge for a couple of hours. If you want your salad to keep for longer then don’t add the leafy greens, they will get wilted once you combine the dressing.
Freezing: not recommended. Keep cold in the refrigerator.
Related: Meal Prepping Vegetables: How to Keep Veggies Fresh Longer
More Beetroot And Pumpkin Recipes
Other Beetroot Salad Recipes To Try
- Simple Beetroot Salad With Walnuts Prunes And Avocado (Vegan)
- Chicken Beet Salad With Avocado Dressing
- Fermented Beets + Cabbage (Probiotic Rich Beetroot Sauerkraut)
- Russian Beet Salad With Sauerkraut (Vinaigrette)
If you made this pumpkin and beetroot salad, then please leave a star rating and a comment below the recipe card.
Your feedback is really helpful for me and readers!
Pumpkin And Beetroot Salad (Vegan) Recipe
Pumpkin And Beetroot Salad
- 3 cups beetroot - cubes
- 3 cups pumpkin or squash - cubes
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 2-3 handfuls leafy greens - spinach, arugula, kale, parsley or other
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 avocado - (optional)
- 1.5 tbsp mustard - brown mustard or Dijon mustard
- 1.5 tbsp lemon juice - or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp sweetener - honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp chia seeds - to thicken the dressing
- oil is optional
Roast The Beets And The Pumpkin
- Peel, cube, oil, salt & pepper the beetroots and the pumpkin, place in a baking sheet, and bake for about 25-35 minutes depending on size in a 425F oven. They should turn out sweet and caramelized around the edges. If you want to avoid the oil you can also air fry the veggies.
Prepare The Salad Dressing
- While the veggies are cooking, add all dressing ingredients in a small bowl, whisk and allow to combine the flavors until you’re ready to assemble the salad.
Assemble the Salad
- Mix the ingredients. Here you have two options, combine everything in one bowl and toss everything together or layer the ingredients on a platter and drizzle the dressing just before serving.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.
©HealthyTasteOfLife. Content and photographs are copyright protected and need prior permission to use. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to other websites and any social media is strictly prohibited. Sharing and using the link of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated!
Sunday 3rd of July 2022
Stunning salad, looks as good as it tastes