This shiitake mushroom soup is creamy and rich with a flavorful taste and health benefits.
It’s a creamy mushrooms soup made with immune boosting shiitake mushrooms, healthy veggies and naturally thickend with chickpeas, hence no cream is needed. And if you want this shiitake mushroom soup vegan friendly, just leave out the bacon! Otherwise the recipe it’s totally gluten and dairy free.
If you like mushrooms, check out this Sautéed Mushroom Zucchini Salad With Lemony Dressing.
Healthy Shiitake Mushroom Soup
Even though the shiitale mushrooms they are more expensive than regular mushrooms, their flavor is much more intense and deepens the rich flavor of this healthy mushroom soup.
Shiitake mushrooms have two main uses: as food and as supplement. That’s right, shiitake mushrooms have long been used in traditional Chinese medicine. Studies have found that they have bio-active compounds that may offer protection against cancer and inflammation .
Did you know that shiitake mushrooms have antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties? . Shiitake mushrooms also help to control blood sugar levels and they contain all eight essential amino acids along with linoleic acid.
Creamy Shiitake Mushroom Soup, No Dairy
Most creamy mushroom soups, especially the canned versions available at the store are filled with milk, soy and wheat, besides other fillers and taste modifying ingredients. And I definitely want to avoid those!
A homemade version of a creamy shiitake mushroom soup will always be the best! No need to use soup thickening agents or flours and is also low in sodium. I used chickpeas and potatoes as natural thickeners, so no cream is needed here.
Some other healthy soups I like to make with a creamy consistency are:
- Creamy Vegan Broccoli Soup In 25 min (GF)
- Healthy Red Cabbage Soup | Sweet & Sour
- Creamy Beet Soup With Red Sauerkraut (Vegan GF)
- Gluten Free Dairy Free Vegetable Soups
- Easy Roasted Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup
How To Make This Shiitake Mushroom Soup
This healthy homemade shiitake mushroom soup recipe requires just one pot and is cooked on the stove – 45 minutes from start to finish!
Step 1. Start by cooking the bacon until it gets crispy and has released a lot of fat. Reserve the bacon and set aside. In the same pot saute the onions, leeks and garlic. Season with salt, pepper and add the rest of the herbs and spices. If making a vegan version of this shiitake mushroom soup – just use oil as the sauteing fat.
Step 2. Add the chopped shiitake mushrooms to the pot, and cook until they are soft, about 6 to 7 minutes. Scoop 1/3 of the mushroom mixture into a bowl and reserve for garnishing (if you like some chunky toppings).
Step 3. Add the diced potatoes, carrots, drained chickpeas, and the crushed tomatoes, saute for a few minutes. Add the water, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 25-30 min. Taste it and season with more salt, if needed.
Heads up: some are affiliate links & I may receive a small commission from qualifying sales. For more info See This.
Step 4. Using a blender or immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Return the soup to the pot and add the reserved bacon (thinly chopped) and mushrooms. Or use the pieces to garnish along with some chopped fresh herbs. I also used some coconut aminos for garnishing and for a more intense flavor.
Shitake Mushroom Soup Storage
Store the soup in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or you can freeze it for up to a month.
To reheat the shiitake mushroom soup – gently reheat on low heat on the stove-top for about 15 minutes or use the oven and a heat safe container.
More Healthy Veggie Soups
If you tried this shiitake mushroom soup, please share your experience in the comments below!
Your feed back is really important for me and readers!
IAnd don’t forget to subscribe to the e-mail list for new posts and recipes!
Healthy Creamy Shiitake Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 20 medium shiitake mushrooms - fresh, chopped
- 3-4 slices sugar free bacon - turkey, or pork (omit if vegan)
- 1 large onion - diced
- 1/2 stalk leeks - chopped
- 5 garlic cloves - minced
- 2 medium red potatoes - cubed
- 2 medium carrots - cubed
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 can of cooked chickpeas - or white beans
- 4-5 cups of water - or stock
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika - add 1/2 more if you're no using bacon
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp coconut aminos - (optional, for garnishing)
- Add the bacon to a wide, large pot and cook it, until it gets crispy and has released a lot of fat. Reserve the bacon and set aside.
- If making a vegan version of this shiitake mushroom soup – just use oil as the sauteing fat.
- To the bacon fat, add the diced onions, leeks, garlic and some oil, if needed. Season with salt, pepper and the rest of the herbs and spices, cook until they are soft and aromatic, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped shiitake mushrooms to the pan, and cook until they are soft, about 6 to 7 minutes. Scoop 1/3 of the mushroom mixture into a bowl and reserve.
- To the same pot, add the diced potatoes, carrots, drained chickpeas, and the crushed tomatoes. Add the water and bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 25-30 min. Taste it and season with more salt, if needed.
- You can serve the soup as it is or puree it. Using a blender or immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Return the soup to the pot and add the reserved bacon (thinly chopped) and shiitake mushrooms.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning, if needed. Garnish with some mushrooms and chopped fresh herbs if you like. Serve!
Make Vegan Shiitake Mushroom Soup:To make it even more healthier, you can skip the bacon and make a vegan mushroom soup recipe. Since it’s already a non-dairy mushroom soup, it’s no hard at all. As an alternative to that smoky flavor I would increase the amount of smoked paprika in the recipe.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.
©HealthyTasteOfLife. Content and photographs are copyright protected and need prior permission to use. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to other websites and any social media is strictly prohibited. Sharing and using the link of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated!
Wednesday 26th of February 2020
A creamy mushroom soup worth making... I like its creaminess and texture without using any cream...plus the fiber and protein from other added veggies will keep you full longer!
Thursday 27th of February 2020
Yes you could make this soup even more creamier if you add some coconut milk, but I prefer without it, but it's up to individual taste.