This healthy mushroom soup is creamy, gluten free, dairy free and it’s made with immune boosting shiitake mushrooms. That’s what gives this healthy mushroom soup a rich and flavorful taste and health benefits!
This healthy mushroom soup recipe is one of the most favorite cream soups of mine. This is also a dairy free mushroom soup, it’s gluten free and with health benefits, so is definitely a winner.
This post may contain affiliate links. To read the disclaimer policy See This.
Healthy Mushroom Soup Recipe
The nutritional value a mushroom soup is based on how it is made. There are many kinds of gluten free and dairy free mushroom soup recipes, and it depends on what kind of mushrooms you want to use, and what kind of liquid base you prefer: broth, cream or just water.
Unlike the gluten free mushroom soups you can grab from the store, the homemade version will always be the best! No need to use soup thickening agents or flours and is also low in sodium.
Some other soups I used the same principle (from scratch and with health benefits) are these:
Most cream of mushroom soups, especially the canned versions available at the store are filled with milk, soy and wheat, besides other fillers and taste modifying ingredients. And I definitely want to avoid those!
Healthy Mushroom Soup, No Dairy
To make my dairy free mushroom soup I actually didn’t opt for a dairy free cream alternative. I just wanted to experiment and see if I can make a thick creamy soup without even using stock or broth.
And guess what, it’s absolutely possible! This homemade gluten free dairy free mushroom soup is still full of flavor due to a successful combination of vegetables. Potatoes and chickpeas are just perfect for creating a creamy base.
Gluten Free Mushroom Soup With Health Benefits
Shiitake mushrooms have two main uses: as food and as supplements. That’s right, shiitake mushrooms have long been used in traditional Chinese medicine. Studies have found that they have bio-active compounds that may offer protection against cancer and inflammation .
Did you know that shiitake mushrooms have antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties? . Shiitake mushrooms also help to control blood sugar levels and they contain all eight essential amino acids along with linoleic acid.
Even though they are more expensive than regular mushrooms, their flavor is much more intense and deepens the rich flavor of this healthy mushroom soup.
Make A Vegan Mushroom Soup
To make it even more healthier, you can skip the bacon and make a vegan mushroom soup recipe. Since it’s already a non-dairy mushroom soup, it’s not a big deal if you take out one ingredient. Another thing: as an alternative to that smoky flavor I would increase the amount of smoked paprika in the recipe.
How To Make Gluten Free Dairy Free Mushroom Soup
This healthy mushroom soup recipe is all made in one pot.
1. Start by cooking the bacon until it gets crispy and has released a lot of fat. Reserve the bacon and set aside. In the same pot saute the onions, leeks and garlic. Season with salt, pepper and add the rest of the herbs and spices.
2. Add the chopped shiitake mushrooms to the pot, and cook until they are soft, about 6 to 7 minutes. Scoop 1/3 of the mushroom mixture into a bowl and reserve for garnishing.
3. Add the diced potatoes, carrots, drained chickpeas, and the crushed tomatoes. Add the water and bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 25-30 min. Taste it and season with more salt, if needed.
4. Using a blender or immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Return the soup to the pot and add the reserved bacon (thinly chopped) and mushrooms. Garnish with some sauteed mushrooms and with some chopped fresh herbs if you like. I also used some coconut aminos for garnishing and a more intense flavor.
Store The Mushroom Soup
Store the soup in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or you can freeze it for up to a month.
The shiitake mushroom soup can be reheated gently on the stove-top or even in the oven.
Healthy Mushroom Soup, Dairy Free Gluten Free
- 20 medium shiitake mushrooms - fresh, chopped
- 3-4 slices sugar free bacon - turkey, or pork (omit if vegan)
- 1 large onion - diced
- 1/2 stalk leeks - chopped
- 5 garlic cloves - minced
- 2 medium red potatoes - cubed
- 2 medium carrots - cubed
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 can of cooked chickpeas - or white beans
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika - add 1/2 more if you're no using bacon
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp pink salt
- 1/3 tsp cracked black pepper
- 4 cups of water - or stock
- 1 tsp coconut aminos - (optional, for garnishing)
- Add the bacon to a wide, large pot and cook it, until it gets crispy and has released a lot of fat. Reserve the bacon and set aside.
- To the bacon fat, add the diced onions, leeks, garlic and some oil, if needed. Season with salt, pepper and the rest of the herbs and spices, cook until they are soft and aromatic, about 5 minutes. Add the chopped mushrooms to the pan, and cook until they are soft, about 6 to 7 minutes. Scoop 1/3 of the mushroom mixture into a bowl and reserve.
- To the same pot, add the diced potatoes, carrots, drained chickpeas, and the crushed tomatoes. Add the water and bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 25-30 min. Taste it and season with more salt, if needed.
- You can serve the soup as it is or puree it. Using a blender or immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Return the soup to the pot and add the reserved bacon (thinly chopped) and mushrooms. Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning, if needed. Garnish with some mushrooms and chopped fresh herbs if you like. Serve!
Make Vegan Mushroom Soup:To make it even more healthier, you can skip the bacon and make a vegan mushroom soup recipe. Since it’s already a non-dairy mushroom soup, it’s no hard at all. As an alternative to that smoky flavor I would increase the amount of smoked paprika in the recipe.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.
Enjoy this mushroom soup and please leave me a comment if you make it, I would love to hear your thoughts! Your feedback is super helpful for me and readers. Thank you!