A savory vegan twice baked sweet potatoes recipe perfect as a side dish for Thanksgiving table or other holiday gatherings. These healthy vegan stuffed sweet potatoes (gluten free too) deliver a savory combination of caramelized onions, brown rice, cranberry, pecans and bell peppers – all baked and finished with a balsamic maple glaze.
Heads up: some are affiliate links & I may receive a small commission from qualifying sales. For disclaimer policy Read More.
Vegan Savory Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes Recipe
I know many people like to make sweet versions of twice baked sweet potatoes filled with sweet toppings, but I’m more inclined to savory sweet potato recipes.
When I made these vegan stuffed sweet potatoes recipe (or twice baked sweet potatoes), the house smelled incredible for the whole day – sweet, woody with caramel notes. This Vegan Butternut Squash And Sweet Potato Casserole has a similar combination of ingredients, if you want to check that out.
I bet some people would love to have this smell for Thanksgiving, or for everyday dinners during the fall and winter months. The rich flavor of the sweet maple balsamic sauce makes this savory twice baked sweet potatoes recipe irresistible!
Another stuffed veggie recipe you might love for your Thanksgiving table: Stuffed Cabbage Rolls And Peppers (Gluten And Dairy Free)
Reasons To Make This Savory Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- It’s a perfect side dish for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner, or even a party appetizer.
- Is kid-friendly, and sometimes it’s fun to try holiday recipes other than your traditional Thanksgiving sides.
- Vegan and gluten-free: Perfect for those with these dietary restrictions.
- Can be made ahead of time. Prepare these twice baked sweet potatoes in the morning, and then bake them right before serving.
- They can be stocked in the freezer to love later on.
Ingredients You Need
- Sweet potatoes, choose fat short sweet potatoes.
- Brown rice or use any white rice
- Onion – white or red, your preference.
- Bell pepper, I used red.
- Dried cranberries or any sweet dried fruit.
- Pecans, or walnuts.
- Oil for cooking.
Ingredients For Sauce
- Olive oil – extra virgin – or any other oil of your choice.
- Balsamic vinegar – for acidity and flavor.
- Garlic cloves – to give it flavor.
- Maple syrup – for sweetness.
- Stone ground mustard or Dijon mustard – for creaminess.
- Salt and pepper.
See the full printable ingredient list with measurement below in recipe card.
How To Make Savory Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
Twice baked sweet potatoes are basically baked twice. The first time is to soften the baked potatoes so you can scoop out the inside (making sure to leave a sturdy shell). And the second time is to mix the pulp with other ingredients and add the mixture back to the potato skins.
Tip To Save Time
Make in advance. To save yourself some time, you can bake the sweet potatoes first time a day in advance, then do the scooping, and twice baking on the day you want to serve them.
Vegan Twice Baked Sweet Potato Filling
As savory filling for sweet potatoes I used caramelized onions, red bell pepper, dried cranberries, chopped pecans and cooked brown rice mixed with the sweet potato pulp. Once baked all this is finished with a little bit of maple balsamic sauce to bring out the flavors.
A final brief stint in the oven and your Thanksgiving side dish is ready!
Other Baked Sweet Potato Toppings
- Vegan cheese
Tips For Perfect Savory Twice Baked Potatoes
- Buy short, fat sweet potatoes versus the long and skinny ones.
- Use a knife to poke a couple holes in each sweet potato to prevent an “explosion” in the oven.
- Don’t over-bake the sweet potatoes the first time around. You want them to be very soft but still able to cut the pulp into little cubes when out.
- Do not make them overly sweet, this is a savory dish. The maple balsamic glaze is enough to bring out the sweetness you need.
Can You Reheat Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes?
Absolutely. Reheat your twice baked sweet potatoes in the oven at 350F for 20 minutes covered (if they’re not frozen, to trap the moist) or uncovered if frozen, so you get nice crispy edges. The microwave is quicker but you won’t get the same result plus I like to avoid it.
What Can I Serve With Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes?
These loaded sweet potatoes (even if they’re vegan) make a pretty hearty meal, so I suggest serving them with a light green salad or some pickled fermented veggies like this carrot salad or this beet and cabbage sauerkraut.
Did you try these healthy vegan twice baked sweet potatoes?
Please leave a comment and star rating below. Your feedback is super helpful for me and readers. Thank you!
Vegan Savory Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper. Use a fork to poke a couple holes in each sweet potato to prevent exploding. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour (depending on how large the sweet potatoes are).
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, boil the brown rice, let it cool. Also sauté the onions in 2 tbsp of olive oil or grape seeds oil in a large pan over medium heat for 5-8 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- To the onion then add the bell peppers, chopped pecans (or walnuts), rinsed cranberries, and the cooled brown rice. Stir to combine and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the glaze: to a small container add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, maple syrup, salt and crushed black pepper, mix to combine.
- Toss half of the glaze on top of the cooking mixture. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed and remove from heat.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and let them cool for 10 minutes or until you can safely handle them. Cut in half and carefully scoop out the insides (pulp) into a large bowl. Leave a thin layer of pulp to support the skin and serve as walls.
- Add the pulp of the sweet potatoes into the rice mixture. (You can mash it or finely chop it). Then scoop the mixture back into the potato skins and put the tray back in the oven for 10 minutes to warm them up.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven, drizzle the rest of maple balsamic glaze over the top and garnish with a sprinkle of chopped parsley.
Savory Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes Recipe Tips
- If you’d like to prepare these sweet potatoes ahead of time, you can bake the sweet potatoes, make the filling, stuff the potatoes and then refrigerate them. Just bake the sweet potatoes the second time a little bit longer than 10 minutes – to heat them all the way through.
- Store the leftover stuffed sweet potatoes in an airtight container for 4 days. When you reheat them, cover to prevent them from drying out.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.
More Gluten Free Dairy Free Dinner Ideas
©HealthyTasteOfLife. Content and photographs are copyright protected and need prior permission to use. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to other websites and any social media is strictly prohibited. Sharing and using the link of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated!